Friday 7 November 2014

MY LIFE AS A FRESHER.

Coming from the strict norms and regulations set by the school, college was certainly a revelation!
Yes more freedom, liberal dress code I expected all this.
But that didn't stop my mouth from hanging wide open after looking around the completely different world that is college.

4 MONTHS AGO

I was in a new place completely alien to me. I didn't know the language, I didn't know their customs. In short- I was completely lost.
Hostel life: I dreaded it, sharing my personal space with two other people. UNIMAGINABLE!
I hated the rooms, I hated the washrooms, I hated it all and just wanted to leave.
All the people here were so different from me. There were students from all over the country and I felt like the complete odd one out. I am not usually insecure but after seeing the kids here I certainly was!
I hated everything. I had worked really hard to get an admission here and now I HATED IT.
How tragic was that!
Coming from a place were every course other than engineering and medicine was frowned upon, I had struggled a lot to pursue the subject of my choice.I had argued with every single relative and friend for letting me come here.And now I was sitting there wishing that I had taken the easy way out and listened to them.I was pathetic!

AND MOST IMPORTANTLY THE THING I FEARED MOST!
What if I was not good enough? All the others here seemed to be good at everything. How will I, a girl from a science background suddenly compete with students who have more experience with language related subjects.
I feared I would not be able to cope up with the class-work. I feared that I was not in par with the other kids and I would fall behind. I feared that I was under qualified for the course.
Though I didn't let it show at most times I was miserable,for weeks!

NOW

My first semester is nearly done. I will be going home in less than a week.I know you are wondering if I am still miserable??
Well the answer is yes.But not about the college life. But about what I would do without meeting any of my pals for a whole month.
Are you wondering what brought about this change in attitude??Even I am.
I guess, as time passed, the things that I dreaded and feared became insignificant.The main reason for this was a self realization.I was miserable because I was so adamant to be miserable.
I was putting all my energy into being miserable that I didn't notice the good things that now surrounded me.I hated the idea of sharing rooms. But now I know how much fun it is to have room mates. The late night chats, the random karaoke sessions, watching FRIENDS with our own friends, bunking classes, late night snacks, the random role-plays and laughter. I CAN NEVER FORGET THESE MEMORIES THAT WE CREATE EVERYDAY.

I was afraid I would be the odd one out. THAT WAS A COMPLETELY IRRATIONAL FEAR. One thing that the life here taught me was that all of us are different. Though many of us hide it and live a life of pretensions.
But you know something, its okay to be different. I think its awesome that you all are one of a kind, unique. There is only one person like you in this world and that's you.(Not my words).


And about falling behind in course work.Turns out all of the others were as clueless as I was.
But as time passes we figured it all out, together. We help each other in everything. And believe me in this if you live with friends they would never allow you to fall behind.We have each others back. For anything and everything!
Let it be class work or some mischief or even bunking classes!
" Yeh dosti hum nahi chodenge ".
Having friends so different from you is kind of amazing. We learn something new every single day.

4 months ago I came here as a school graduate from a conservative realm with a closed mind
but now after my 1st semester as a college under-graduate I am going home as new girl with an open mind but still without forgoing what makes me "ME"!!!


This is not an advice or anything but just a few words I would like to say to all my friends who are about to step into college life.
Don't hesitate to pursue your dreams.
There will be obstacles.
I mean there will be a hell lot of them.
But don't let them stop you.
Because beyond them, lies what you have always dreamed for!!!


BELIEVE ME YOU WILL LOVE YOUR COLLEGE LIFE IF YOU DO THIS!!!
I AM SAYING THIS FROM MY EXPERIENCE

No comments:

Post a Comment